Exclusion and Embrace, a multi-faith Conference being held August 21-23, 2016 at the Jasper Hotel, Melbourne
CALLING ALL ARTISTS
We invite you to represent your personal experience of disability and how you reflect on that experience through your spirituality or faith. This Conference will draw on the wisdom of all faiths, and will deepen the understanding of the many aspects of disability and spirituality.
Visual artists are invited to submit artwork in response to the Conference themes of exclusion and embrace.
A Peoples’ Choice Award of $100.00 will be made to the artist whose work attracts the most votes during the Exclusion and Embrace Conference.
The title of the Conference, Exclusion and Embrace: Disability, Justice and Spirituality opens up various possibilities to depict visually. Exclusion and embrace occurs at many levels…social, political, personal; within society, between individuals and in faith communities.
Some questions to stimulate your thinking are:
- When you experience exclusion what thoughts and feelings arise?
- What are the shapes, colours, textures of exclusion?
- Where do you want to draw the line?
- What does embrace feel like to you?
- What would a world where people are truly embraced looked like?
You might like to think about your experience of liberation, reconciliation, sexuality, pastoral care, inclusion, love, ethics or theological understandings…. Most visual art forms can be exhibited, including digital photography and short video works.
The Exclusion and Embrace Exhibition will be shown at the Jasper Hotel, during the Exclusion and Embrace Conference, 21 – 23 August, 2016. The exhibition will then continue at the Uniting Church’s Centre for Theology and Ministry 25 August to 23 September. We will launch the Exclusion and Embrace Exhibition during the conference. More details to follow.
Meanwhile, why not think about coming to the conference? We would love to have you and others you know of, join in. Check the website above and Facebook page.
Registration details are on the website.
Exclusion and Embrace Exhibition
Conditions of Entry:
1. Open to all artists in any genre or medium in the theme of “Exclusion and Embrace”.
2. Each artist may submit up to two artworks.
3. Each item needs to be easily lifted and carried by one person.
4. It is unlikely that fragile 3D installation can be accepted.
5. 2D framed artwork must measure no more than 1000mm wide x 1200mm high
6. All entries must be the original work of the entrant.
7. If you intend for your artwork to be offered for sale, a commission of 20% of the sale price will be retained and contribute to exhibition costs.
8. All works must be ready for hanging or display. Paintings are to be dry and ready to hang with D rings a third from the top and wire apex 5 cm from the top of the painting. 3D works must be easy to handle for two people, safe and sturdy.
9. Please label each exhibit on the back right hand corner with your name, address, title and medium.
10. The exhibition committee and conference organisers will exercise reasonable care in handling the exhibits, but will not accept responsibility for any damage or loss. Exhibits are not insured.
11. Late entries or changes to entries will not be accepted.
12. All entries are to be delivered and picked up free of charge and on time.
13. Artists are encouraged to submit jpgs of their work for promotion purposes. We reserve the right to photograph works exhibited for the purpose of documentation and promotion with acknowledgement.
14. The exhibition committee hopes to exhibit all works, however there are limitations because of space, suitability, and fragility. Selection of artwork will be made based on available space and demonstrating diverse responses to the theme and a broad representation of media. Artworks of an offensive nature will not be exhibited.The committee’s decision will be final.
5.00 pm Friday, 8 July 2016 Expressions of Interest with image files submitted
Friday 15 July Selection process finalised
Friday 22 July Artists notified (this allows time for framing)
August 15 – 19 Deliver framed, well wrapped artwork to the Centre for Theology & Ministry, 29 College Cres, Parkville.
September 27 – 30 Collect artwork from CTM
Sales: If you intend for your artwork to be offered for sale, a commission of 20% of the sale price will contribute to exhibition costs.
Insurance: The Exhibition committee will exercise reasonable care in handling the exhibits, but will not accept responsibility for any damage or loss. Exhibits are not
Do you still have questions?
The Exclusion and Embrace Exhibition will be curated by the exhibition committee, led by Christina Rowntree, Artfull Faith Coordinator at the Uniting Church’s Centre for Theology and Ministry (CTM). If you have questions, or need clarification, please contact: Christina Rowntree, (03) 9340 8813 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Are you ready to enter?
Please fill in the attached Expression of Interest form for each artwork and include up to three jpeg files showing the finished artwork, and detail: